What I'm Reading Now:

Saturday, April 5, 2008

These is my Words

Title: These is my Words

Author: Nancy E. Turner

Pages: 384

Genre: Historical Fiction, Western

Grade: A

Synopsis: This book is based upon the diaries of the author's great-grandmother, Sarah Agnes Prine. The story starts with her family in a wagon train crossing from Texas to Arizona. They end up settling near Tucson, Arizona and begin tending to gardens, orchards, horses and cattle. Her accuracy with a rifle and fearless demeanor allow her to help save her family from Indian attacks and outlaws. This documents the trials and tribulations suffered by Sarah and her family.

Recommended By: Alison, Jenn

My Review: This is one of those rare books that you could simply read forever. The book is ordered by diary entries and when there is a long break between entries you wonder what had been happening during the break. It's disappointing when the book finally ends because it feels like you could simply keep going. The strength that Sarah displayed and her unwavering efforts to become a better person were inspiring.

From the Book: "(p. 162 - May 4, 1885) It is an awful thing to look on such sad circumstance and not be able to shed a tear. It is not because I do not feel for these folks, but maybe I feel too much. Part of me is glad, in a low down, mean way, that it is not Albert's or Mama's graves we are digging. Glad that it is some soldiers I don't know and neighbors and friends but not family. Lord, I must be the cussedest woman there is to think that. Finally, I felt so guilty for thinking those things that I cried. Then I began to feel the heartaches of our friends and neighbors and I cried for them, too, as we said prayers over each and every grave."

"(p. 164 - May 15, 1885) I must think about something else for a while. But then I remember his warn arms and his big strong legs touching mine and how hard and wide his chest was and how hot his kiss was, and I go outside and feed the chickens. They are getting mighty fat."

No comments: