What I'm Reading Now:

Saturday, September 20, 2008

The Audacity of Hope

Title: The Audacity of Hope

Author: Barack Obama

Pages: 364

Genre: Politics, Memoir

Grade: A-

Synopsis: Barack Obama wrote this book a couple of years after his highly-acclaimed speech at the Democratic National Convention. He expounds on the topics that he spoke about then, explaining his ideas and views for the direction the country should take. He touches on partisan politics, values, the Constitution, race, foreign policy and his family. He is very respectful in explaining his positions and makes a conscious effort to not judge others on their opinions. While he doesn't support Bush's policies, he was honest and respectful in his disagreements.

My Review: This was a pretty good book. Obama is a brilliant man and has a very readable writing style, even while being a difficult read because of the vocabulary and historical references. I feel pretty well versed on politics and history, but I had to look up all sorts of things on wikipedia in order to understand them. I really felt that Obama knew what he was talking about throughout the book. Every Bush supporter should read a short section of the book on the budget and tax cuts pushed through by President Bush. Unless you are in the top .01% of wage earners, you should be disgusted with the way the American public has been treated. My other favorite section of the book was the section on foreign policy. This is one of the things that I agree 100% with Obama on. The United States should not be taking unilateral actions in this world. We cannot continue to alienate our allies and fuel anti-American sentiment throughout the world.

I respect Obama more than I did before reading this book. I can see where he's coming from and I understand his positions a little better. Unfortunately, some of what is written in this book seems a little bit different than his positions today. I much prefer the ideology from the book.

Why I Chose this Book: I really enjoyed the Republican National Convention and thought that it had a far more positive vibe than the Democratic National Convention. I thought that Rudy Guilianni's speech was incredible and that speech alone almost convinced me to vote for McCain (even though I liked Obama at the time). After reading this book, I understand Obama's positions better but I'm still up in the air as to who will get my vote.

From the Book: "(p. 10 - Prologue) But that is not all that I am. I also think my party can be smug, detached, and dogmatic at times. I believe in the free market, competition, and entrepreneurship, and think no small number of government programs don't work as advertised. I wish the country had fewer lawyers and more engineers. I think America has more often been a force for good than for ill in the world; I carry few illusions about our enemies, and revere the courage and competence of our military. I reject a politics that is based solely on racial identity, gender identity, sexual orientation, or victimhood generally. I think much of what ails the inner city involves a breakdown in culture that will not be cured by money alone, and that our values and spiritual life matter at least as much as our GDP."

"(p. 41 - Republicans and Democrats) Maybe the critics are right. Maybe there's no escaping our great political divide, an endless clash of armies, and any attempts to alter the rules of engagement are futile. Or maybe the trivialization of politics has reached a point of no return, so that most people see it as just one more diversion, a sport, with politicians our paunch-bellied gladiators and those who bother to pay attention just fans on the sidelines: We paint our faces red or blue and cheer our side and boo their side, and if it takes a late hit or cheap shot to beat the other team, so be it, for winning is all that matters."

"(p. 171 - Opportunity) Education. Science and technology. Energy. Investments in these three key areas would go a long way in making America more competitive. Of course, none of these investments will yield results overnight. All will be subject to controversy. Investment in R & D and education will cost money at a time when our federal budget is already stretched. Increasing the fuel efficiency of American cars or instituting performance pay for public-school teachers will involve overcoming the suspicions of workers who already feel embattled. And arguments over the wisdom of school vouchers or the viability of hydrogen fuel cells won't go away anytime soon."

"(p. 190 - Opportunity, Obama recounting a conversation with Warren Buffet) "I did a calculation the other day," he said as we sat down in his office. "Though I've never used tax shelters or had a tax planner, after including the payroll taxes we play, I'll pay a lower effective tax rate this year than my receptionist. In fact, I'm pretty sure I pay a lower rate than the average American. And if the President has his way, I'll be paying even less."

2 comments:

"All you need is love" said...

He is an excellent speaker and I think he is sincere, unfortunately I think politics can get in the way of idealism. I do agree on your point about the DNC being more negative than the RNC, that was a selling point for me. Good to hear your thoughts. It will be interesting to see how things turn out.

Cory said...

I didn't watch the entire DNC or the entire RNC; but I did watch the VP and Presidential speeches from both conventions. SO while I can't speak to the overall tone of the conventions, I thought that Obama was more positive than McCain and Biden (though still pretty negative) was more positive than Palin. I was actually offended at some of the things Palin said about low and middle income Americans using grass-roots politics. WHile I understand that the point of Palin's comment were directed at showing Obama as an amateur and herself and McCain as experienced in the government world, I felt it did so at the expense of class and dignity.

One thing is for sure, I have rarely heard a more motivating speaker than Barack Obama. His eloquence and articulation is very good. I can't wait for the debates!