What I'm Reading Now:

Wednesday, June 9, 2010

A Beautiful Mind

Title: A Beautiful Mind

Author: Sylvia Nasar

Pages: 5 discs

Genre: Biography

Grade: B+

Synopsis: Professor John Nash was awarded the 1994 Nobel Prize in economics for his work on game theory 45 years previously. As a young man, Nash was a mathematical genius who never hesitated to tackle the big problems. By the time Nash was 30 years old he was suffering from schizophrenia and would continue to do so for the better part of 30+ years. Amazingly, in the early 1990's, Nash's schizophrenia began to go into recession and Nash was again able to produce useful work.

My Review: This is one of the only audiobooks that I own, so I've listened to it a few times when I have forgotten to grab some new cds from the library. I find the book to be both an inspiring story of patience and determination among incredibly difficult circumstances as well as a depressing account of the familial difficulties suffered by Nash due to his sickness. There is no doubt in my mind that Nash was deserving of the Nobel Prize or that he was an incredible genius.

No comments: