What I'm Reading Now:

Sunday, October 3, 2010

The Book Thief

Title: The Book Thief

Author: Markus Zusak

Pages: 552

Genre: Historical Fiction

Grade: A-

Synopsis: Liesel Meminger and her younger brother are being taken by their mother to live with Hans and Rosa Hubermann who live on Himmel Street in Molching, Germany. On the way there, Liesel's younger brother dies and is buried in a small town cemetery. Leaving the cemetery, Liesel notices a book in the snow, The Grave Digger's Handbook. At the time, Liesel can't read, but the book is the start of her love/hate relationship with words and books.

My Review: This is one of the more unique books that I have ever read. I enjoyed it immensely, but for some reason, I found it difficult to really get into it. I loved the viewpoint of the story, from that of a small non-Jewish family living in Hitler's Germany and their view of the oppression of Nazi Germany. I'd really like to read the book again, and will probably enjoy it more if I'm able to focus on it more.

Disclaimer: This book is full of swearing (mainly in German) and the taking of the Lord's name in vain, which was disappointing.

No comments: