What I'm Reading Now:

Sunday, February 5, 2012

Gathering Blue

Title: Gathering Blue

Author: Lois Lowry

Pages: 215

Genre: Fiction

Grade: B+

Synopsis: Kira is a gifted weaver with a lame leg who lives with her mother.  In the world that she lives in, the weak are typically cast aside and left for the beasts in the forest.  When Kira's mother dies, she is left to fight for herself when she receives deliverance and a mentor from the Council of the Guardians. 

My Review: While the book is marketed as a companion to "The Giver", one of my favorite books of all time, I think that distinction may hurt the book more than help it. In my opinion, the Giver is such a good book, that my expectations for this book were set higher than they would have been.  I enjoyed this book and found the story and plot very thought-provoking.  It was nice to have a short easy read.

No comments: