What I'm Reading Now:

Sunday, February 24, 2013

If the Cup Could Talk

Title: If the Cup Could Talk

Author: Michael Ulmer

Pages: 144

Genre: Non-fiction, Sports

Grade: B

Synopsis: Lord Stanley's Cup is known as one of the most iconic, revered and famous trophies in professional sports.  For more than 100 years, the Cup has been awarded to the best hockey team.  The names of the winning team's players are engraved on the cup for future generations to appreciate.  Each player on the winning team gets to spend a day or so with the cup, sleeping with it, showing it off to friends and families and taking it to their favorite local bars. In the cup's storied history, it has been lost, stolen, vandalized and treating in ways not typically becoming for a trophy. This book tells the story of the cup and stories about the cup.

My Review:  This book has been on my to-read list for years (I'm not sure where it came from), but the book isn't available from the local library, so for Christmas I ponied up the $4 and got a used copy on amazon.  I'm don't particularly care for hockey, but I did enjoy reading about the Stanley Cup.  It probably has the most interesting history of any professional trophy.  Next time I'm in Toronto, Canada I'll have to stop by the Hockey Hall of Fame to take a look at one of the official replicas.

No comments: