What I'm Reading Now:

Sunday, March 31, 2013

Jack: Straight from the Gut


Title: Jack: Straight from the Gut

Author: Jack Welch, with John A. Byrne

Pages: 496

Genre: Autobiography

Grade: A-

Synopsis: This is the autobiography of Jack Welch, the former CEO of General Electric.  During his tenure as CEO (from around 1980 to 2000), General Electric's value rose 4000% (and Welch has been handsomely compensated as his net worth is currently estimated to be around $720 million).  Welch started at GE in 1960 as a junior chemical engineer, with a salary of around $10,500.  From his work ethic and performance, he climbed the internal ladder and was named CEO just 20 years after starting at GE.

My Review:  This book was suggested to me by our own CEO, so I added it to my list.  I found the book at the DI just a couple of weeks later, so I figured it was a sign that I ought to read the book.  I found the book to be an eye-opening look at Welch's career including the highlights as well as some of the decisions that he regretted.  It seems like Jack Welch was an incredible worker and motivator, however, I simply cannot fathom getting much work done while golfing as much as it sounds like he does.

No comments: