What I'm Reading Now:

Saturday, November 8, 2014

Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret


Title: Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret

Author: Judy Blume

Pages: 4 discs?

Genre: Fiction

Grade: B

Synopsis: Margaret Simon is an almost twelve-year-old that moves from New York to the suburbs and is trying to fit in.  Her father is a Jew, her mother is Catholic and the friends that she makes in her new place are obsessed with bras, boys and getting their periods.

My Review: Ok, I didn't really know what this book was about when I first started it. In fact, we started listening to the book on a family trip and it started out tame enough. But before long, the subject matter moved into puberty-level stuff and I had to eject the cd and finish listening on my own. That's not to say that Ada (who is 8) wasn't really interested and enjoying the book, but the book is probably more appropriate for girls 10 years old and older (like me, apparently).  It's a pretty funny book and it felt like it gave me a decent taste of the issues and conversations that I can expect in my own house in a few years. We will have those discussions while doing pushups as a family and chanting: "We must, we must, we must increase our bust!"

No comments: