What I'm Reading Now:

Sunday, July 29, 2007

Into Thin Air

Title: Into Thin Air

Author: Jon Krakauer

Pages: 291

Genre: Non-Fiction

Grade: A-

Synopsis: Into Thin Air is a personal account of the disaster that unfolded high upon the slopes of Mt. Everest in 1996. Krakauer was climbing the mountain as part of a guided expedition by Rob Hall, a guide from New Zealand, considered by many to be the best in the world. After summitting the mountain, many climbers were overtaken by a powerful storm and couldn't get down the mountain. This is the true story of what went wrong.

Why I Chose This Book: I've just always wanted to read it.

My Review: Jon Krakauer tells an incredible story that makes you feel like you are there. He does a very nice job of describing the difficulties of the climb and the problems that can happen while acclimatizing yourself to the thin Nepalese air. I really enjoyed this book and had a hard time putting it down at times. For anyone who has ever daydreamed about climbing Everest or doing something similarly amazing, this book may help knock some sense into you.

3 comments:

sdande said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
sdande said...

Lurp,

I finished this book a couple of days ago and absolutely loved it. I never had much desire to climb Everest, and my desire is even less now(Im not a big fan of HAPE or HACE...or cold for that matter). I read the book on a recommendation from a friend out here, and it consumed most of my lunch breaks and dipped into a few hours of study time. I would recommend it to everybody also!

Steve said...

I have to disagree about this booking knocking sense into you. After reading this book I wanted to climb everest even more. I guess I am a weirdo anomaly though.