What I'm Reading Now:

Friday, January 2, 2009

Cheaper by the Dozen

Title: Cheaper by the Dozen

Authors: Frank B. Gilbreth Jr., and Ernestine Gilbreth Carey

Pages: 180

Genre: Autobiography

Grade: B+

Synopsis: This book is the true story of the efficiency expert Frank Gilbreth and his wife's adventures of raising 12 children. Two of his children reminisce about the experiments and excitement of growing up in a house where the father is a motion study expert. He often uses his children as guinea pigs for his newest hypotheses and teaching methods.

My Review: This was quite an enjoyable and quick read. I had to look up whether or not this book was billed as a true story or not (it is) because some of the stories are quite off the wall - but not quite unbelievable. If nothing else, the book is good for displaying various teaching methods. Some of which work and some of which don't.

From the Book: "(p 2) Dad took moving pictures of us children washing dishes, so that he could figure out how we could reduce our motions and thus hurry through the task. Irregular jobs, such as painting the back porch or removing a stump from the front lawn, were awarded on a low-bid basis. Each child who wanted extra pocket money submitted a sealed bid saying what he would do the job for. The lowest bidder got the contract."

"(p. 54)"I give nightly praise to my Maker that I never cast a ballot to bring that lazy, disreputable, ill-tempered beast into what was once my home. I'm glad that I had the courage to go on record as opposing that illegitimate, shameless flea-bag that now shares my bed and board. You abstainer, you!""

No comments: