What I'm Reading Now:

Saturday, January 24, 2009

The Geography of Bliss

Title: The Geography of Bliss: One Grump's Search for the Happiest Places in the World

Author: Eric Weiner

Pages: 325

Genre: Travel, Non-fiction

Grade: B+

Synopsis: Eric Weiner (pronounced 'whiner') wants to find the happiest places in the world. He's not exactly the happiest guy but thinks that maybe location has something to do with it. He travels to 10 countries, The Netherlands, Switzerland, Bhutan, Qatar, Iceland, Moldova, Thailand, Great Britain, India and The United States and informally researches whether or not people in each country are happy. His research mainly consists of talking to locals, American expats and happiness experts. He also does his best to live like the locals (i.e. very extravagantly in Qatar while rooming with an old babushka in Moldova).

Disclaimer: The book isn't dirty by any means, but be forewarned that the language can be a little crude.

My Review: This was quite an enjoyable read. A couple of the chapters drag on for a little longer than feels necessary, but on the whole, the book is very interesting and funny. Weiner's writing style is very relaxed and conversational and I really enjoyed his ability to throw in random facts and humor. The book really was quite funny. I only included two quotes on this review, but there were many, many that I would liked to have included. I particularly enjoyed learning a bit more about all of the countries that he visited and there were even a few that I added to my list of countries that I simply must visit before I die. In other words, I am very jealous of the travel that Mr. Weiner went on.

From the Book: "(p. 7, The Netherlands) And so I do. I have inter course, right there in the Hotel van Walsum dining room. I enjoy it very much, this unhurried dining experience. I sip my beer, stare into space, and, in general, do nothing--until the waiter brings the grilled salmon, indicating that, for now, my inter course is over."

"(p. 302, India) Emma has just returned from a visit to her factory. On the floor, she has spread piles of bags. They are everywhere, and they are beautiful. I'm tempted to get naked and roll around in the pile but restrain myself. This is a forgiving place, but even the inhabitants of 1 Shanti Road have their limits."

No comments: