What I'm Reading Now:

Monday, April 27, 2009

The Phantom of the Opera

Title: The Phantom of the Opera

Author: Gaston Leroux

Pages: 7 discs

Genre: Classic

Grade: B+

Synopsis: There is a rumor at the Opera House of a ghost that lives in the catacombs below. Mysterious things are happening, culminating with the death of Joseph Buquet. The Opera Ghost seems to be especially enamored with Christine Daae, as is the Viscount Raoul de Chagny. When Christine disappears, Raoul teams up with a mysterious Persian to find her.

My Review: Most people know the basic premise of the story, either from the musical or the movie. As is almost always the case, I was surprised by just how different the adaptations are from the book. I found the book to be quite enjoyable, but a little difficult to follow at times. As for which version of the story I like best (movie, musical or book), I think that I like them all just about equally, with the slight edge going to the live musical version (there's nothing like watching a performance live).

No comments: