What I'm Reading Now:

Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Ella Minnow Pea


Title: Ella Minnow Pea

Author: Mark Dunn

Pages: 208

Genre: Fiction

Grade: A-

Synopsis: Ella Minnow Pea is living happily in the island country of Nollop of the coast of South Carolina. The small island is named after Nevin Nollop, the famed author of the famous pangram, “the quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog.” As letters fall one-by-one from the 36-letter pangram on a monument to Nollop, the government of the island decrees that once a letter falls from the monument, that letter may no longer be used in speech or writing without severe punishments – including expulsion or death. The book is a compilation of letters (correspondence) that are written between the island’s inhabitants. As more and more letters fall from the pangram, they are removed from the book. Ella is on a quest to come up with a pangram at least 4 letters shorter than Nollop’s in order for the council to reinstate the full alphabet.

My Review: This has to be one of the most clever books that I have ever read. It’s a quick read because the letters (correspondence) between the people are often fairly short. The book does get more difficult to read and understand as more and more letters are removed from the approved alphabet. Very unique and imaginative story, and very clever writing. Have a dictionary handy as you’re reading because Dunn’s command of the English language is superb.

From the Book: "(p. 6) On Wednesday, July 19, the Council, having gleaned and discerned, released its official verdict: the fall of the tile bearing the letter "Z" constitutes the terrestrial manifestation of an empyrean Nollopian desire, that desire most surely being that the letter "Z" should be utterly excised--fully extirpated--absolutively heave-ho'ed from our communal vocabulary!"

"(p. 153 - B,C,D,F,J,K,Q,V, and Z have fallen) "U" is gone. I suppose you're aware. The 1st aeiouy to go. Up until now the other graphemes were not aeiouys. When the aeiouys start to go, Ella, writing to you turns exponentially more grueling. I will not throw in the towel, though. I trust that you won't either. I truly relish our partnership."

"(p. 175 - B,C,D,F,J,K,Q,U,V,X, and Z have fallen) Lately, I haph startet painting my torso in pretty, motley hews. I sit in phront oph the mirror in the sleepy-room. I atmire my hantyworg. I am a hooman apstrat paining."

No comments: