What I'm Reading Now:

Friday, September 25, 2009

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society


Title: The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society

Author(s): Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows

Pages: 278

Genre: Fiction

Grade: B

Synopsis: Guernsey is a British Island that came under German occupation during World War II. The residents there formed the Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society on a whim when they were caught past curfew. After the war the residents of Guernsey begin corresponding with Dawsey Adams, an author looking for a topic for her next book. Ms Adams falls in love with the island (and islanders) as she unravels their stories.

My Review: The whole book consists of a series of letters between the characters. I didn't really like the format of the book and I had a hard time remembering who was who. The story was interesting, but I never felt drawn into it. There wasn't really a climax to the story - instead everything just seemed to continue on and on. All that said, I believe that most people that read this book will like it quite a bit more than I did.

No comments: