What I'm Reading Now:

Sunday, January 24, 2010

A Million Little Pieces

Title: A Million Little Pieces

Author: James Frey

Pages: 9 discs

Genre: Fictional Memoir

Grade: B

Synopsis: James Frey awakes on a plane with major facial injuries not knowing what happened or where he is going. He is picked up at the airport by his parents who then check him into a drug and alcohol rehabilitation clinic. This is the story of his battle with his demons as he tries to get clean.

My Review: The book was the center of a controversy between Oprah and the author a few years ago. Oprah had picked the book as her book club book and espoused its greatness. Before too long, thesmokinggun.com uncovered that the book that was billed as a memoir actually contained quite a bit of fiction (see the original piece on thesmokinggun.com, A Million Little Lies) I'm glad I went into the book knowing of it's questionable history or I would have felt as duped as Oprah did. The book gives amazing insight into the battles that a drug addict faces and was very eye-opening for me. The book was very powerful and motivational, but was docked a few points in my grading due to its foul language (see below).

Disclaimer: I will never recommend this book to anyone due to its foul language. In fact, the language in this book is far worse than any other book that I have ever read and possibly worse than all previous books that I have read combined together.

No comments: