What I'm Reading Now:

Saturday, March 13, 2010

The Rescue Artist

Title: The Rescue Artist

Author: Edward Dolnick

Pages: 270

Genre: Non-fiction

Grade: B

Synopsis: This is the true story of the theft of Edvard Munch's famous painting The Scream from the National Museum in Norway on the same morning that the Winter Olympics were starting in Lillehammer in 1994. The theft was pulled off with disturbing ease as the painting had recently been moved from a room deep within the museum to a position next to an easily accessible second floor window. While the police had no good leads, Scotland Yard offered the use of their art recovery team - most especially the expertise of undercover detective Charley Hill, who's ingenuity and daring had recovered many previously stolen paintings.

My Review: I found this book to be an interesting look at the art underworld. While the main focus of the book is on the theft and recovery of The Scream, different chapters are dedicated to different art thefts throughout recent history. The story is interesting and the writing is good, but I didn't ever feel the book grab me and draw me in.

No comments: