What I'm Reading Now:

Saturday, January 15, 2011

A Nice Little Town

Title: A Nice Little Town

Author: Robert D. Christensen, M.D.

Pages: 159

Genre: Memoir

Synopsis: Dr. Robert Christensen writes about moving from Chicago to the small town of Layton, UT as a very small boy. In the 1940 census, Layton only had about 600 residents. The book feels like a collection of memoir-like essays about growing up in Layton, attending Layton and Whitesides Elementary Schools, Central Davis Jr. High and Davis High School. His father was the town Dentist at the old Tanner Clinic and many of the long-time city residents are featured in some of the stories.

My Review: I'll not give this book a grade as I'm going to treat is as a book of stories that a grandfather may like to leave for his posterity. There were a great many of unfortunate spelling errors that made the book feel less like a published work and more like a family collection. That being said, the stories were funny and enjoyable and I especially enjoyed learning about the city/town that I grew up in and I recognized many of the locations and people that were part of the book. Generally, I'm quite certain that native Laytonites will enjoy this book far more than non-Laytonites.

No comments: