What I'm Reading Now:

Wednesday, May 2, 2012

A Short History of Nearly Everything

Title: A Short History of Nearly Everything

Author: Bill Bryson

Pages: 544

Genre: Non-Fiction

Grade: A

Synopsis: As the title suggests, this book is a short history of nearly everything.  In the nearly 500 pages, topics ranging from the big bang and the formation of the universe and solar system to what we understand about atoms, other subatomic particles and living cells.  This book is not just a history book either.  It is full of stories and controversies about what we know or don't know about everything and introduces the reader to experts on many of the topics discussed.

My Review:  In the middle of March I was in Portland, Oregon for the NCAA tournament.  We made a visit to the iconic Powell's bookstore in downtown.  I couldn't leave empty-handed so I had to think of a book from my 'to-read' list that I would actually like to own.  We buy very few books, so this was a huge step for me (although I did buy a used copy).  I couldn't be happier with this book.  I think that I learned something new on every page and thoroughly enjoyed Bryson's writing style and the way that the book moved from one topic to the next.  This is a book that I will read again.

1 comment:

Trever and Heather said...

I now know what else to buy Trever for Father's Day- this is him to a "t". Let's hope Barnes and Noble has it, if not he'll get it for his birthday.