What I'm Reading Now:

Thursday, November 28, 2013

Desert Solitaire


Title: Desert Solitaire - A Season in the Wilderness

Author: Edward Abbey

Pages: 10 discs?

Genre: Memoir, Autobiography

Grade: A-

Synopsis: In this book, Edward Abbey recounts his experiences as a park ranger at Arches National Monument in Moab, Utah.  Arches had not yet been made into a National Park and was only accessible via a dirt road with very limited facilities.  For a couple summers (about April to October), Abbey was the only ranger for the park an lived in a small trailer near balanced rock.  The memoir is filled with stories of his experiences in the southwest and his musing and commentary on modern society and mainstream culture. included are stories about rafting down the Colorado River from Moab to Wahweap, while the Glen Canyon Dam was being built (he and his companion were probably some of the very last to see Glen Canyon before Lake Powell started filling), climbing a mountain in the Henry mountains east of Moab, descriptions of the wildlife, snakes and plant life and search and rescue operations for lost tourists.

My Review: Surprisingly I found that I really enjoyed this book.  I wish that I could pinpoint where, when or who recommended it to me (probably back in 2008).  There are a few points in the book where Abbey goes off on modern society and modern conveniences and complains against people who day-trip to the National Parks (of which my family and I are very guilty of).  He talks quite a bit about what we need to do to be good stewards of our precious environment and complains often about the prevalence of paved roads and Americans reliance on the automobile (This book was published in 1968, and I'm sure it's only gotten worse).  Even with all of the author's tangents I liked the book.

No comments: