What I'm Reading Now:

Saturday, November 30, 2013

Paradise Lost


Title: Paradise Lost

Author: John Milton

Pages: 3 discs

Genre: Epic Poem

Grade: B+

Synopsis: Paradise Lost is an epic poem written in the 17th century by the English poet, John Milton.  The poem is about the Biblical story of the Fall of Man, including the temptation of Adam and Even by the fallen angel Satan and their being driven from the Garden of Eden after they had partaken of the forbidden fruit.

My Review:  I was familiar with Paradise Lost, but I didn't know it was a poem, I didn't know it was an epic (in the style of Homer and Virgil) and I was not aware the the poem was about Adam and Eve and the Fall of Man.  Aside from it being difficult to follow the 17th century prose at some points, I thought that the epic was well written and had a good flow to it.  I also felt that Milton did a decent job expounding on the doctrine of the Fall based on what Christians believed in the 1600's.

A strange coincidence was the graffiti that I cam across in an alley in Salt Lake City (between 900 and 1000 S, & West Temple and Main St) of Paradise Lost:

No comments: