What I'm Reading Now:

Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Dune


Title: Dune

Author: Frank Herbert

Pages: 19 discs

Genre: Science Fiction

Grade: A-

Synopsis: The Atreides family accepts control of the planet Arrakis, during a time far in the future when noble houses have planetary empires as sanctioned by the interstellar emperor.  Arrakis is a very important planet as it is the only place in the universe where spice can be mined, albeit dangerously.  Spice is the most precious and important substance in the universe as it allows the interstellar trading and trafficking that they emperor relies upon.  Paul Atreides is the heir apparent but must go into hiding once his father's house is attacked as others try to regain control of Arrakis.

My Review: This story is fantastical and complex enough that it is hard to summarize in a short paragraph, but I have found myself over the last few weeks thinking back to the story as it really caught my interest.  I listened to the audiobook version and it was excellent, using a full cast of characters for all of the many different parts.  I have the Dune movie from the early 1980's saved on my DVR at home, I'm interested to watch it, but the few minutes that I watched earlier don't leave me with high hopes.

No comments: