What I'm Reading Now:

Saturday, July 26, 2014

Good Omens


Title: Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch

Authors: Terry Pratchett & Neil Gaiman

Pages: 412

Genre: Fiction, Humor

Grade: B-

Synopsis: This is a difficult book to describe because it is very strange...  Basically, there is a book that was written in the seventeenth century by a witch, Agnes Nutter and she predicts that the world will end on a Saturday.  She has never been wrong, so everybody expects her to be correct on these counts as well.  The armies of good and evil are gathering together in preparation.  However, there is a demon and an angel who have lived on the earth since Adam and have grown rather fond of their lives here.  They're not ready for Armageddon quite yet. Not to mention, who they thought was the anti-Christ was misplaced at birth.

My Review: This book took me more than a month to get through.  It just wasn't holding my interest.  Although I seemed to carry it with me nearly everywhere during that month, there were many things that I would rather be doing than reading Good Omens. Which, by the way, kind of surprises me.  The book has a bit of a cult following and appears to be very popular in some circles.  That's not to say that I didn't enjoy portions of the book.  It is written as a humorous noel and while some of the jokes are a stretch, generally the humor is wrapped very tidily in with the rest of the book.

From the Book: "(p. 306) I got another bath," she announced to her fellow telephone salespersons. She was well in the lead in the office daily Getting People Out of the Bath stakes, and only needed two more points to win the weekly Coitus Interruptus award."
"She dialed the next number on the list.
"Lisa had never intended to be a telephone salesperson..."

No comments: