What I'm Reading Now:

Sunday, September 30, 2018

A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius


Title: A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius

Author: Dave Eggers

Pages: 485

Genre: Memoir

Grade: B

Synopsis: This memoir is about life after Dave's parents both died within an month of each other. Dave was 21, his older brother was 24, his older sister was 23 and his younger brother Toph was 8.  The responsibility of caring for his younger brother fell largely to him.  He brought Toph to live with him in his small apartment in Berkeley and they existed more like roommates, than a parent-child relationship. 

My Review: I generally enjoyed this book, but after reading it I wasn't sure if it was a memoir or a work of fiction.  My gut tells me that the truth may have been stretched, but that mostly, this was a memoir. It's been a few months, but I believe there was a good amount of language.

No comments: