What I'm Reading Now:

Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Wicked

Title: Wicked - The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West

Author: Gregory Maguire

Pages: 416

Genre: Fiction

Grade: B-

Synopsis: We are all familiar with the story of Dorothy Gale and the Wizard of Oz, but we've only heard her side of the story. This book tells the story from the perspective of Elphaba, the Wicked Witch of the West. Elphaba is born a green hermaphrodite and struggles her whole life with her identity. She goes to school at the University in Shiz where she rooms with Galinda (who would become the good witch of the North). Elphaba champions the rights of Animals (those who can think and talk) and fights against the tyranny of the Wizard.

My Review: I enjoyed the book and the story overall, but found parts of the book to be a little boring and felt that they dragged on longer than was needed. It's been so long since I've watched The Wizard of Oz, that I need to go back and watch the movie to appreciate the book more. Alison and I saw Wicked the musical in Chicago a couple of years ago and quite enjoyed it. In fact, I'll take the musical over the book.

No comments: