What I'm Reading Now:

Sunday, August 8, 2010

Innocent Traitor

Title: Innocent Traitor

Author: Alison Weir

Pages: 416

Genre: Historical Fiction

Grade: B

Synopsis: Lady Jane Grey was queen of England for a mere 9 days, the pawn of her scheming father and ruthless mother. Lady Jane was just 15 when she seceded to the throne after the early death of King Edward VI (who had seceded his father King Henry VIII). England was in a state of turmoil between the Protestant religion and Catholicism and anybody who did not subscribe to the religion of their rulers was put to death for heresy.

My Review: The book is written from many different points of view, but it was often difficult to determine who was writing as the tone and style of each person was so similar. I didn't really like the middle part of the book, but by the time I was 3/4 of the way through, I really started to enjoy the story. I've always felt that medieval Europe was somewhat of a black hole for me. I know very little of what went on during these times. I love reading books such as these that attempt to bring these time-periods to life while sticking generally to the facts.

No comments: