What I'm Reading Now:

Monday, January 6, 2014

The Thirteenth Tale

Title: The Thirteenth Tale

Author: Diane Setterfield

Pages: 406

Genre: Mystery

Grade: B

Synopsis: Margaret Lea is an amateur biographer who spends most of her time helping her father run their antique bookstore or reading.  Imagine her surprise when she receives a letter from one of the most prolific writers in England inviting her to come and write her story.  This writer, Vida Winter, has never really opened up to anyone and Margaret is afraid that Miss Winter will not tell her the truth either.  As she gets into the story, she realizes that there is a lot more to the story that Miss Winter is leaving unsaid.

My Review:  I enjoyed this book, but I didn't love it.  There were a lot of names and intricacies that I had a hard time keeping track of.  This may have also been due to the fact that I read the bulk of this book while spending time with family (Hi family, sorry I ignored you during Christmas...) and there were always lots of distractions.

From the Book: "(p. 58) I shall start at the beginning. Though of course the beginning is never where you think it is. Our lives are so important to us that we tend to think the story of them begins with our birth. First there was nothing, then I was born.... Yet that is not so. Human lives are not pieces of string that can be separated out from a knot of others and laid out straight. Families are webs. Impossible to touch one part of it without setting the rest vibrating. Impossible to understand one part without having a sense of the whole."

No comments: