What I'm Reading Now:

Saturday, October 7, 2017

Henry VI, Part I


Title: Henry VI, Part I

Author: William Shakespeare

Pages: 123

Genre: Play

Grade: B

Synopsis: The play begins at the death of Henry V.  There is some controversy among the noblemen as to whether or not the heir apparent Henry VI is capable of leading the country while they are at war with France.  There are parallel story-lines with the war in France, which includes Joan of Arc's visions and attempts to assist the French in battle and other quarrels and dissension back at home.

My Review: This is one of Shakespeare's earliest plays, and many experts believe that he collaborated with other authors in its writing. Nonetheless, I still had to read the play alongside a modern translation/explanation to be able to grasp what was going on. 

No comments: