What I'm Reading Now:

Thursday, March 26, 2009

Fablehaven - Rise of the Evening Star

Title: Fablehaven - Rise of the Evening Star

Author: Brandon Mull

Pages: 431

Genre: Fantasy

Grade: A-

Synopsis: Kendra and Seth can't wait for the end of the school year so that they can return to visit their grandparents at Fablehaven. A few days before the school year ends, a scabby kobold appears in her class. The kobold appears normal to everybody except Kendra. With the aid of a kobold exterminator they get rid of him and are then swiftly evacuated to Fablehaven for their own safety. Once there, they find out that the Society of the Evening Star (which opposes preserves such as Fablehaven) has gotten stronger and may have even breached Fablehaven itself.

My Review: My goal is to read 4 books between each book of a single author that I read (does that even make sense?). With these Fablehaven books I just couldn't stop myself. In fact, Alison probably resents the books as well because I read most of the book yesterday evening. I wasn't going to go to bed until I finished it. Now onto the book, this book is once again like Harry Potter with adventures and fights against magical creatures. Of course, the kids are always more clever and tougher than the adults. There are unexpected twists and surprises, giving a very enjoyable book.

From the Book: "(p. 228) This surpassed the fear of death. Death would be a mercy if it would make the feeling stop, the uncontrollable panic mingling with the mind-scrambling certainty of something sinister approaching, something with no need to hurry, something that would not be so kind as to let him die. The fear was palpable, suffocating, irresistible."

1 comment:

Trever and Heather said...

I just finished all four so far in the series. #4 was my favorite.