What I'm Reading Now:

Saturday, March 21, 2009

Fablehaven

Title: Fablehaven

Author: Brandon Mull

Pages: 351

Genre: Fantasy

Grade: A-

Synopsis: Kendra and her brother Seth are forced to stay with grandparents that they barely know while their parents go on an extended cruise. When the children first arrive, their grandpa gives them very strict rules about where they can go on the property and around the house. The children quickly find out that there is something different about this place and that danger may lurk in the dense forest surrounding the yard. They find out that grandpa is actually a caretaker of Fablehaven, a special preserve for magical creatures. Due to Seth's inability to follow the rules, Kendra and Seth end up in a very dangerous situation and have to make decisions of life or death.

My Review: This was quite an enjoyable read. It reminded me a lot of the Harry Potter books because it is set in modern day with magical creatures that are hidden from view and perception of regular people. The books are not nearly as complex but they are still able to command your attention and excitement.

From the Book: "(p. 79) "Agreements. Specifically, a treaty ratified by all the orders of whimsical like forms who dwell here that affords a measure of security for mortal caretakers. In a world where mortal man has become the dominant force, most creatures of enchantment have fled to refuges like this one.""

1 comment:

Trever and Heather said...

Yay- I'm glad you did this review. I've been wondering since I started working at Deseret Book Publishing (where we've worked on the 4th one for the last few months) if these books are a good enough series for me to enjoy. Now I'll put them on my library hold list...