What I'm Reading Now:

Sunday, March 29, 2009

A Midsummer Night's Dream


Title:
A Midsummer Night's Dream

Author: William Shakespeare

Pages: 2119 Lines

Genre: Play (more specifically - comedy, romance, fantasy)

Grade: B+

Synopsis: Egeus enters Theseus' court with his daughter, Hermia, and two young suitors Demetrius and Lysander. Egeus wants his daughter to marry Demetrius (who loves her) but she is in love with Lysander (who also loves her). Egeus wants Theseus to punish Hermia if she fails to comply with his wishes. Hermia and Lysander conspire to run away and make the mistake of telling their secret to Helena (who loves Demetrius). Helena tells Demetrius of their plans and they follow them into the forest. In the forest there is a group of fairies with their king and queen and a group of Athenians practicing for a play that they hope to perform for Theseus. The fairy king wants to get back at his queen and sends his servant Puck to find a flower kissed by cupids that can be used to make people fall in love. Much trickery ensues as the flower's powers are mistakenly used on the wrong people at the wrong time.

My Review: My original opinion was that this play simply wasn't that interesting. After writing the above synopsis, I find myself actually enjoying replaying the scenes in my mind - so I bumped my grade up a notch. I'm not fluent enough in Shakespeare yet to be able to read his plays without the help of a dumbed down summary of each act. Maybe once I've read a few more I'll be a pro at interpreting his writing.

From the Play: "(Act I, scene i - Lysander speaking to Hermia)
Ay me, for aught that I could ever read,
Could ever hear by tale or history,
The course of true love never did run smooth..."

"(Act III, scene ii - Helena speaking about Hermia)
O, when she's angry, she is keen and shrewd!
She was a vixen when she went to school;
And though she be but little, she is fierce."

"(Act V,epilogue - Pucks addressing the audience)
If we shadows have offended,
Think but this, and all is mended:
That you have but slumbered here,
While these visions did appear;
And this weak and idle theme,
No more yielding but a dream,
Gentles, do not reprehend.
If you pardon, we will mend."

No comments: