What I'm Reading Now:

Saturday, December 10, 2011

Ceremony

Title: Ceremony

Author: Leslie Marmon Silko

Pages: 8 discs?

Genre: Fiction

Grade: B-

Synopsis: Tayo is a half-white, half-Laguna Native American who fought in World War II and survived the Bataan death march.  He struggles to assimilate back into traditional Native American society and struggles with mental instability.  He turns to traditional Native American spirituality and ceremony as he tries to overcome his issues.

My Review: It was tough to get through the first portion of the book, before I finally understood what was going on.  I even found myself having to reference Spark Notes to make sure that I was getting the gist of what was happening.  By the second half of the book, the story became much more enjoyable.

No comments: