What I'm Reading Now:

Monday, November 27, 2017

The Handmaid's Tale


Title: The Handmaid's Tale

Author: Margaret Atwood

Pages: 311

Genre: Dystopian Fiction

Grade: A-

Synopsis: The book is set at some future date from the 1980's when this book was written.  The handmaid is Offred, whose only role is to bear children to the leaders of the the Republic of Gilead, where she lives. Gilead is centered around the Harvard campus, but is based on skewed teachings from the Bible after too many men and women became sterile due to so much pollution.

My Review: I had a hard time getting into this book at first.  It was hard to understand the terminology and descriptions as they are describing an alternate future of our own world. I started reading summaries and analyses for each chapter as I made my way through the book and it improved things dramatically.  Once I better understood things I found this to be a very interesting book.

Disclaimer: There is some language and sex, so reader be aware.

No comments: