What I'm Reading Now:

Wednesday, November 1, 2017

The Witch of Blackbird Pond


Title: The Witch of Blackbird Pond

Author: Elizabeth George Speare

Pages: 6 discs

Genre: Historical Fiction, Newbery Award

Grade: B+

Synopsis: The book is set in the late 1600's.  Kit Tyler had been growing up in Barbados when her grandfather passed away, leaving her an orphan.  She elects to hop on a ship to go stay with her only remaining family in the Connecticut colony, where Puritan ideals and witch hunts are still a part of their lives.

My Review: I find books about the Puritans very frustrating.  The snobbery and judgmentalness (is that a word?) that they show just grates on me and makes me mad.  Kit Tyler, however, is a perfect heroine and example of love, compassion, kindness and acceptance that even today should be emulated. I listened to this book with Ada while driving to the Southern Utah ski resorts and she tells me that she liked everything about it.

No comments: