What I'm Reading Now:

Wednesday, December 31, 2014

For Whom the Bell Tolls


Title: For Whom the Bell Tolls

Author: Ernest Hemingway

Pages: 16 discs

Genre: Classic

Grade: A-

Synopsis: Robert Jordan is an American in the International Brigades and is in the mountains of Spain working with an antifascist guerrilla unit during the Spanish Civil War in the late 1930's. Robert Jordan is an explosives technician and needs to put together a team of guerrilla fighters that he can trust to help him blow up a critical bridge at the start of a battle. While entrenched in the mountains, Jordan falls in love with the beautiful Maria, a young Spanish girl.

My Review: I love to be pleasantly surprised by a classic novel that I end up really enjoying. I love Hemingway's honest writing that seems to expose the characters. In this book, I really liked the Spanish phrases interspersed with the English writing, even though I don't speak Spanish.  It helped to remind me about where this book what set.

No comments: