What I'm Reading Now:

Wednesday, December 31, 2014

On the Road


Title: On the Road

Author: Jack Kerouac

Pages: 9 discs

Genre: Fiction

Grade: B+

Synopsis: This novel takes place in post-war America, in the late 1940's and early 1950's.  It is the story of Sal Paradise and Dean Moriarty who crisscross the country hitchhiking, in borrowed cars, on buses or in less-than-legally obtained cars of their own. They go from New York to San Francisco, Los Angeles to Chicago, Virginia to Colorado and New York to Mexico, among other trips.  All along their way them make friends, meet up with old friends and pick up the ladies.

My Review: This book is known as one of the most popular books of the beat generation or similarly, a quintessential American novel.  I didn't really know what to expect when I picked it up (it had been on my list of books to read for probably 6 or 7 years), but I really enjoyed it. It's a bit like a travelogue, but most enjoyable was Kerouac's prose and descriptions. I found that I could really lose myself in the story.

No comments: