What I'm Reading Now:

Saturday, December 6, 2014

The Fish Can Sing


Title: The Fish Can Sing

Author: Halldor Laxness

Pages: 246

Genre: Fiction (Icelandic)

Grade: B+

Synopsis: A mid-twentieth century novel from Iceland, the story is about an orphan, Alfgrimur who grows up in the home of a generous and eccentric older couple.  Alfgrimur dreams of becoming a fisherman, like his adopted grandfather, until he chances to meet Iceland's biggest celebrity, Gardar Holm, who is a world renowned opera singer and national hero.  Alfrgrimur tries to cultivate his love of singing, all the while trying to track down the famous singer.

My Review: I enjoyed the flowing prose of the book (which is indicative of a great translation).  The author, Halldor Laxness won the  Nobel Prize in Literature in 1955. I think this book was written just after.  I had a hard time tracking the book down, but once I found it, I did enjoy it.

No comments: